Kingston Childminding Association

Supporting and Representing Ofsted Registered Childminders in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames

How to find a Childminder
When looking for a childminder, you should be prepared to interview a number of childminders before you make a decision about the best one for your child.

Ofsted Registered Childminders advertise their vacancies in a number of ways.  It is worth popping into your local Children's Centre where local childminders often advertise, as well as on the KCMA Childminding Vacancies page.

Your childcare requirements can also be listed on the KCMA website - Listing your childcare requirements.   See how to have your childcare needs listed on the parents section of the website.

All councils have a responsibility for co-ordinating information about childcares services. In Kingston, this is done through Kingston’s Families Information Services, which also holds a list of vacancies.  You can contact the FIS on 020 8547 6582 or email fis@rbk.kingston.gov.uk. 

When choosing a childminder, arrange a visit in their homes so you can get a good feel for the setting your child would be looked after in. Once you've narrowed down your search it's important to let your favoured childminder know you're interested - subject to seeing references - as soon as possible. You can then have a more thorough discussion about the finer details with the childminder and see their professional documentation, certification and references, before you confirm the arrangements.

Remember: go through all the checks you can with previous employers and with any relevant inspections.  
Make sure your childminder's registration is up to date. You can check this on the Ofsted website if you have the childminder’s reference number.  The childminders Ofsted Inspection Report is available to view online as well - childminders must meet the national standards for childminding as set out in the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework and the report will contain the findings - any good childminder should be prepared to show you a copy.  It is also important to check your childminder is insured - ask to see a valid certificate.
Finally make sure you check the DBS forms of both the childminder and their partner (if appropriate), and anyone else in the household who is over the age of 16 years. 
It is definitely worth asking to talk to a couple of parents of children your prospective childminder has cared for in the past, also.